Those who can, do. Those dedicated and enthusiastic individuals who can do more, volunteer!
Join the Alaska SeaLife Center family as a volunteer. As a non-profit organization, the Alaska SeaLife Center relies on our active volunteer staff to fulfill our mission year-round.
- RV Volunteer Summer 2017
- Exhibits Diver Volunteer
- Guest Relations Volunteer
- Veterinary Labratory Volunteer
- Research Volunteer
- Husbandry Volunteer
- Homer Wildlife Response Volunteer (must live in or around Homer, AK)
- Accepting applications year around
- Please submit a resume if available to complement your application
- An interview and the mandatory orientation/training session are required
- Learn about becoming an RV Volunteer for summer 2017!
- If you have questions or would like more information on becoming a volunteer for the ASLC please email the volunteer coordinator.
- Gain valuable, hands on experience
- Discounts on Gift Shop merchandise - 20% discount on non-sale items
- Discounts at Haul Out Cafe
- Guests accompanying volunteers will receive a 20% discount on gate admission and programs
- Free or discounted admission to some state/local attractions, hotels and restaurants (with ASLC ID)
- Free admission to ASLC for volunteers, their spouse, children, parents, grandparents and grandchildren
- Worker's compensation benefits
- Complete and submit a volunteer application and attend mandatory training
- Must be at least 14 yrs of age, 16 to work in the Husbandry or Laboratory Departments or apply with HR for the Parent-Partner Interpreter Program (at least 9 yrs of age)
- Most positions require a commitment of at least 4 hours a week for at least 4 months or equivalent
- No experience necessary
- Dress appropriately
- Bring your enthusiasm
- Must be able to commit to a consistent schedule and be on time for scheduled shifts
- Must have effective communication skills, both oral and written, be detail oriented and willing to work
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Comply with policies and procedures
- Must be comfortable with the use of animals for research purposes
Some positions require:
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an every-changing work environment
- Must be able to perform physically challenging work in a variety of weather conditions, including snow, ice and rain
- Must be familiar with operation of computers and software including Word, Excel, and Access
- Applicants must possess the ability to interact with visitors in a professional manner
Hear what our volunteers say about us:
- "This was an awesome experience. I made many new friends and learned much more about birds and their ecosystems."
- "I was very impressed by all the opportunities I was given to learn and participate."
- "ASLC is a great place to get marine animal exposure and learn about the marine field."
- "It was a wonderful experience, the people are great!"
- "I had a fabulous time working at ASLC!"
All volunteer positions may include performing other duties related to the Center's goals and mission statement.