: Diamond :
Species: Ribbon Seal (Histriophoca fasciata)

Diamond was called in by Rebecca Knight of Wasilla, who discovered the seal at Palmer Hayflats State Game Refuge. SeaLife Center staff responded and with the tremendous help of Chris Abshire and Dave Hopper with the Alaskans for Palmer Hay Flats were able to bring the seal out with an ATV and lots of muscle to the road.

October 5: Blood work is being performed and will determine a plan of action. Diamond is currently molting and is very far out of her normal range.

October 9: Diamond now has water access and spends much time in the water. She has not yet eaten on her own.

October 13: Blood results indicate that even though Diamond has not yet eaten, her health is still okay. She still spends much of her time on the bottom of her pool.

November 10: Diamond has been cleared for release by ASLC veterinarians and NMFS. Plans are being prepared to release her sometime in the next few weeks near her normal range.

November 16: Diamond has been prepared for release with a satellite tag, a flipper tag and a microchip.

November 21: Today was an eventful and long day for Diamond. The day began by loading her into a U-haul truck and driving to the Kenai Municipal Airport. Thanks to Lori, the airport manager and operation staff, the animal was loaded into a Coast Guard C-130. The Coast Guard has assisted the ASLC in the past with logistical support with animal transports, aerial surveys and whale disentanglements. Thanks to Officer Tom Putish and the Kodiak Air Station crew, the transport was made possible. Everyone on the Coast Guard C-130 crew was excellent to work and travel with. They are both professional and friendly. Once landing in Cold Bay, the Staff at the Izembek National Wildlife Refuge offered some incredible support. Led by refuge manager Sandra Siekaniec and maintenance manager Tom Siekaniec, large equipment was made available to transport the cage to Grant Point on the north end of the peninsula. Diamond was released as night fell in Izembek Lagoon. With about 25 folks from the local community observing, Diamond spent a few minutes eating eel grass and getting reacquainted with the Bering Sea water. She then slid herself into the lagoon and out of site. We will continue to track her progress as satellite information is available.
The Alaska SeaLife Center would like to thank and incredible amount of individuals who we collaborated efforts with to make Diamonds release a success. Thanks to the Kenai Municipal Airport, The Coast Guard Kodiak Station, The staff at Izembek National Wildlife Refuge, The Ice Seal Committee, NMML, NMFS, and the community of Cold Bay for welcoming us to your community for a great release and a fantastic Thanksgiving.


: Tracking Data :
Satellite Tracking Map

Back to list